Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:41 am 

Is it possible to extract addresses from a .pst file? Is there a limit to the size of the .pst file? I am trying to work with a 0.6mb file.

I've tried and the extract either fails and an error report is generated for onward transmission to Microsoft or on the one time it didn't produce an error it found only nonsensical addresses.

Any ideas?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

Yes you can extract the email addresses from a PST but you need to import the PST file in your Microsoft Outlook before you extract. To import a PST in Microsoft Outlook please go to Outlook->File->Import and Export->Import from another program or file->Personal Folder File (.PST) and then choose the PST file you wish to import.

After you imported the PST in Outlook please enter in Email Address Collector and press the "Microsoft Outlook 2K" button (2K is the version of your Outlook) from the left panel of the program. You will see now (above the button you pressed) the all your PST files that you have in Outlook. Select the one you wish to extract the email addresses from and then press "Extract" button located on the main toolbar of Email Address Collector.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:04 pm 

I have about 30 PST files that i recently imported from Outlook 2003 into Outlook2007. They contain most of my email history. Some have over 5000 emails in them. They all show up in the left side panel under Email Address Source.

But if i check any one of them and choose Extract Only from this folder (or all checked folders), and click on "Extract All" absolutely nothing happens.

If i choose "Extract form this folder and all subfolders" and click "Extract All", the actual Extraction Progress Bar shows but nothing is extracted because the only subfolder is the 'Deleted Items" folder, and nothing is in there.

If I copy the emails from the PST folder into my mailbox-temp folder, it extracts all the email addresses.

What is wrong?

I only have the trial version but will only buy if i can extract addresses from my pst files. I don't really want to copy all my emails from the pst files to my mailbox (limited space) and then extract it. I want to extract them directly from the PST files just as you say i can.

Can you help?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:59 am 
Site Admin

The same answer that was sent to you by email (just in case someone else will have the same problem): Can you please create a new local PST file, put some unimportant messages in it, then try to extract from it. If it will not work (it shouldn't work, according to your tests), please send me that PST file so we can test with it and come up with a fix.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:49 pm 

After sending the test pst files, i received the following email:

I see that the emails are not in a subfolder but directly in the personal folder. Please create a new subfolder by right clinking the personal folder in Outlook and selecting New Folder. Give it a name. Then select all the emails in your personal folder and right click them. Select "Move to folder..." and select the folder that you have created. Then please open Email Address Collector and try to extract addresses from the folder that you have created.

Kind regards,
Andra Avramescu

THIS SOLVED THE PROBLEM. THANKS MUCH