Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:03 pm 

After registering when my trial period expired, Outlook keeps quitting without explanation. I've tried Uninstalling B&W, Repairing MS Office (including Outlook) and INstalling B&W. When I requested help via the registrayion email helpdesk address I got the response, "Unfortunately we only handle the encryption/security and purchase side of things here at Softwrap and everything looks fine. Please can you contact the author of this title - http://www.emailaddressmanager.com about the problem you are having with their software".

I'd change your purchasing agent if I was you. This 'silly' response from Softwrap has cost me three days, and I'm back to square one.

Back to me: what should I do to get B&W installed? It worked fine during the trial period but now that I've registered it won't work at all.

--Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:03 am 
Site Admin

Hi Greg,

Sorry for the Softwrap trouble... indeed they only handle the registration side of the product.

After you register the product, can you please advise if you get any error messages at all or Outook simply exits without any warning? Can you identify any action that you always peform prior to the Outlook instant exit? I'm trying to figure out what exactly is causing these instant exits, as this is the first time we hear about such problems.

Also, what other Outlook addins you have installed?

Regards
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:33 am 

Bogdan:

The short answer is I've now got B&W installed.

The detail is:

* I tried several more times this morning. Same problem
    * I then ran my registry cleaner (Registry Mechanic), rebooted, downloaded a fresh copy of the B&W Trial version, scanned my registry for 'DS Dev' and 'Bells' deleting all keys as I went, turned off all my virus, spam and spyware monitoring programs. Tried installing B&W from the fresh copy and it worked.

What I noticed about the B&W install program was that the fresh copy just did a straight install whereas the first version copy I had that suceesfully installed several weeks ago, asked if I wanted to Change, Repair or Uninstall.

Hope this helps and thanks for your response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:03 am 
Site Admin

The setup file asks you to repair/modify/uninstall only if it finds an existing installation of the product - maybe you uninstalled the product while Outlook was running (so it couldn't delete all its files) or you uninstalled it from the Windows Control Panel (not using the supplied Uninstall link).

Does Outlook still quit without explanation?

Regards,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:00 am 

No, it's fine. now. Outlook works properly and B&W is active.

I always used the B&W UNinstall but when I tried to reinstall I got the options Change, Repair or Uminstall.

One day I started Outlook and B&W said my trial peiod had expired, did I want to register. I clicked okay, paid the registration fee and then Outlook crashed. Obvoiulsy something got left behind in the registrywhich fooled the installer into thinking B&W was still installed.

I don't know if using my registry cleaner (Registry Mechanic from PC Tools) fixed the problem or the fact that I turned off all my virus, spyware an spam protection.

I am happy to provide more information but for now I'm satisfied I've got it working. You'll appreciate that the fact it worked fine during the trial period and stopped when I paid the licence fee was rather galling.

Thanks for your support,

--Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:51 am 
Site Admin

Hi Greg,

I think I know what happened: when Outlook starts, it is expecting every add-in to load itself and to communicate back to Outlook. Because the trial expired, the add-in refused to load, but at the same time you followed the purchasing steps, causing Outlook to attempt to continue loading itself, while the add-in interface was loading the purchasing window. As a result, when you where done with the payment window, the add-in tried to revert back to Outlook, but Outlook was not expecting the add-in to load, which caused the crash.

At least in theory :-)

Regards
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:30 pm 

Thanks Bogdan.

I've no idea why Oulook/IE/FireFox would have crashed at that moment. The transaction went through.

Regards,

--Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:24 am 

Bogdan:

A new development with this issue.

Today the 'immediate close down' of Outlook after attempting to start B&W came back today.

I've discovered it is Spyware Doctor (from PC Tools) that is causing Outlook to close. Spyware Doctor checks for 'keyloggers' and thinks Outlook is logging keys when B&W is installed and closes it down.

The workaround is to tell Spyware Doctor that OUTLOOK.EXE is allowed to monitor keystrokes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Hi Greg,

I know why it reports Outlook as a keylogger :)

The Bells & Whistles text templates support keyboard shortcuts for quickly inserting a related template. In order to monitor when a shortcut is activated, Bells & Whistles needs to monitor the keystrokes: when one combination matches a template shortcut, it adds the template to the email message.

That is why Spyware Doctor reports a keylogger under Outlook. Unfortunately, that is the only solution for allowing users to add keyboard shortcuts to text templates.

Regards
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:15 am 

That's good Bogdan.

At least you you will be able to advise new clients either in advance or when they get the 'immediate Outlook close' problem.

--Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:47 pm 
Yeap, that is a valuable piece of information for our service support team :wink:

Thanks a lot!
Bogdan