Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:07 am 

I am attempting to load a csv file that crashes both MS Outlook and Easy Mail Merge. This csv file has three fields email address, subject line, and text. When I use Easy Mail Merge on a file with just address and subject line it preforms normally. If however I add the "text" field, then it crashes as soon as I try to import. The only possible difference that I see between the text field as the others is length. The text field is between 500-1500 characters long.

Is there anything I can do to use this field? What is the maximun length of any one field in Mail Merge?

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

Please check if there are any commas in the field "text" from your CSV file. The comma usually is the column delimiter in a CSV file. So if there is a comma in one of the text from that column it might be processed as a new column and can generate errors.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:37 pm 

There are no additional commas in this field. In fact, I have them completely removed before I write the information to disk. Here is an example of the text contained in that field:

Date: 2006-08-28 10:12PM EDT Spacious 3BR 1.5BA rowhouse near historic Bolton Hill and Reservoir Hill. This is a 2 level rowhouse w/ basement newly renovated that has a large living room-dining room-kitchen with new appliances-original hardwood floors-W/D-dual staircases-central air-plenty of storage space. Convenient location to UMD-Baltimore UB State Center Station Inner Harbor etc. Easy access to major highways: 395 295 and 95. Available in October: $1450 per month + security deposit. Please call *SPAM*.

As you can see, no commas. Is the dollar sign a problem?

Thanks,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

When Easy Mail Merge crashes while importing those fields, what is the exact error message displayed by Outlook?

The dollar sign shouldn't be a problem. Can you please post on this forum topic a complete CSV line (email address, subject line, text)? If you want to, replace the original email address with a fake one, but please copy & paste the line as it is formatted in the CSV file (open the CSV file with Windows Notepad, select a CSV line, copy and paste it on this forum).

Thanks,
Bogdan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:00 am 

Outlook crashes as I am trying to import the names. I think it crashes on record number 2, but I am not sure. The error information is as follows:

The error information simply states "MS Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Data in Error report:
Error Signature
AppName: outlook.exe
AppVer 10.0.2627.1
ModName:emmaddin.dll
ModVer 1.1.68.0
Offset: 00076770

Exception Information
Code: 0x000005a8
Flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x00000000c0000005
Address:0x0000000000000000

I hope that information helps, but it does not seem like a clear error code to me.

I check the "Use first line of file to compose names..." and then import this file with about 144 entries. The first three entries are below:

email , subject , text
mailto:*SPAM*@comcast.net , $1850 / 3br - TOWN HOUSE IN WHITEMARSH , Date: 2006-08-28 11:38PM EDT 2 year old townhouse in whitemarsh. Located at a popular shopping center with several resturants a grocery store a blockbusters and much much more. Only five minutes from whitemash mall and the Avenue. Rent includes water and maintance. Town house is 2 years. 3 bedroom with a 2 story master bedroom and 2 1/2 baths. 2 car garage and extra parking in the rear. Pets will be accepted with extra deposit. Call for pictures and more information. *SPAM*. Jennifer
mailto:*SPAM*@hotmail.com , $1450 / 3br - Large 3BR rowhouse available for rent in West Baltimore , Date: 2006-08-28 10:12PM EDT Spacious 3BR 1.5BA rowhouse near historic Bolton Hill and Reservoir Hill. This is a 2 level rowhouse w/ basement newly renovated that has a large living room-dining room-kitchen with new appliances-original hardwood floors-W/D-dual staircases-central air-plenty of storage space. Convenient location to UMD-Baltimore UB State Center Station Inner Harbor etc. Easy access to major highways: 395 295 and 95. Available in October: $1450 per month + security deposit. Please call *SPAM*
mailto:*SPAM*@yahoo.com , $1095 / 1br - One Bedroom - with Den for sublease (6 months) , Date: 2006-08-28 9:14PM EDT Hello All I am looking for someone to sublease the apartment which has 6 months lease to go. Currently it is being rented for 1170$. The aprtment is located at Owings Run Apartments in Owings Mills MD. It is a very spacious one bedroom with den (which itself a bedroom) located very close to Highways 695/795 a mile away from Owings Mills Mall & Metra train to downtown Baltimore and other locations. It is few miles away from grocery stores and companies like CareFirst TRowePrice etc. Please click on the link to see more details. http://homeproperties.com/seekers/apart ... =&RentSub= I can be contacted anytime at my cell *SPAM* or mailto:*SPAM*@yahoo.com Thanks

I noticed the message board underlined the email addresses, this was not seen in the csv file. I hope you can help.

Thanks,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

It appears that you can't use more that 255 characters in a field from a CSV file in the version of Easy Mail Merge that you currently use. We are investigating this problem in order to find a fix which will allow users to use more than 255 characters in a field. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

As an alternative solution you can split the text from the third column (the text that has more than 255 characters) into two different columns and you can merge them into the body of the email by inserting the both fields next to each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

We just release an update on Easy Mail Merge, that fixes the problem you reported. Once you install the update, you will be able to import CSV fields that are longer than 255 chars.

To install the update, use the Check for Updates function located on the Easy Mail Merge toolbar that is displayed on the main Outlook window.

Regards,
Bogdan