Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:29 pm 

Hello

I’ve been using Easy Mail Merge, but I now have a problem. I’m getting the message ‘Failed to initialize component. Exit code -1’ when I start up Outlook. The Easy Mail Merge tool bar is not showing either.

I've recently upgraded my memory. I've also run a registry tool in an attempt to clean up my registry. Not sure if I've deleted something I shouldn't have done ... hence why I uninstalled and re-downloaded the Easy Mail Merge software.

I'm using Easy Mail Merge ... with Outlook 2003 ... which I also IMAP to AOL ... on Windows XP.

If you could please help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

Most likely some registry values were erased by mistake... Please try these solutions, in the following order:

1. Uninstall/reinstall Easy Mail Merge and make sure that:
- you are logged on to Windows using an Administrator account;
- Outlook is not running in background.

2. On your main Outlook 2003 window, go to Help -> About Microsoft Office Outlook. On the popup window that is displayed, click on Disabled Items. See if Easy Mail Merge is listed on that list. If it's listed, select it and click on the Enable button. Then restart Outlook.

3. Run a Detect & Repair job over your Office/Outlook installation. You can run Detect & Repair from your Outlook Help menu.

4. If the problem is still not solved, check your anti-virus program, maybe it is somehow blocking Easy Mail Merge (it shouldn't, but you never know). Try to run Outlook without an antivirus program running and see if it makes a difference.

Hope it helps...

Bogdan
PS: I moved your thread from the Email Address Collector category to Easy Mail Merge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:49 pm 

Hi Bogdan

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly. Have been away for a few days, so not had a chance to try out your suggested options. Will keep you updated either way.

Thanks again.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:45 pm 

Hello again Bogdan

I’m continuing to have difficulty regarding Easy Mail Merge and I wonder if you can please help me.

Taking your previous suggestions:

1.Uninstall/reinstall Easy Mail Merge and make sure that:
- you are logged on to Windows using an Administrator account;
- Outlook is not running in background.

I tried this ...

2. On your main Outlook 2003 window, go to Help -> About Microsoft Office Outlook. On the popup window that is displayed, click on Disabled Items. See if Easy Mail Merge is listed on that list. If it's listed, select it and click on the Enable button. Then restart Outlook.

Easy Mail Merge is not showing as Disabled ...

3. Run a Detect & Repair job over your Office/Outlook installation. You can run Detect & Repair from your Outlook Help menu.

I tried this ...

4. If the problem is still not solved, check your anti-virus program, maybe it is somehow blocking Easy Mail Merge (it shouldn't, but you never know). Try to run Outlook without an antivirus program running and see if it makes a difference.

I tried this ...

I’ve also upgraded to Office 2007 (still under Windows XP Professional) to see if it Easy Mail Merge will work with a ‘new’ installation of Office.

For your information (I looked at other potential solutions suggested on the forum. Some of these may be irrelevant routes to explore, but thought I’d mention in case they help you.):

i) I start Outlook from an Outlook icon.

ii) Right clicking on the toolbar does not show Easy Mail Merge listed (only Standard, Advanced, Web and Customize)

iii) I’ve been to the Trust Center ... Add-ins ... Easy Mail Merge is shown as an Active Application Add-in.

iv) Also in the Trust Center ... Macro Settings ... tried both ‘No Security Check for Macros’ and ‘No Warning and Disable All Macros’. Neither worked. (My default setting is ‘Warnings for Signed Macros; all unsigned macros are disabled’.)

v) In Help ... About Microsoft Office Outlook ... System Information ... I cannot see Easy mail Merge listed in the COM add-ins (looked under Office 2007 Applications\Microsoft Office Outlook 2007\Comm Addins)

vi) In Help ... About Microsoft Office Outlook ... System Information ... I cannot see Easy mail Merge listed in the Startup Programs (looked under Software Environment\Startup Programs)

vii) In C: \Program Files\DS Development\Easy Mail Merge for Outlook ... emm.chm, EMMAddin.dll; EMMOpts.exe; eula.txt; template.mdb and tips.tip and are all listed.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:35 am 

Hi All,
I'm having the same problem, I have not done as much as GoodalSA, but I did uninstall & reinstall w/o success.

I also have B&W installed and I get the same error message fro both applications.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:38 am 

Hi All,

I think I solved this case for my situation. The problem was the anti-virus program, F-Secure 2010.

The fix was just unchecking "Deep Guard Advanced Process Monitoring"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:42 pm 

Hi Yakman!

What a star! I too have F-Secure 2010. Have just unchecked "Deep Guard Advanced Process Monitoring" ... relaunched Outlook ... and Easy Mail Merge reappeared!

Thank you! Thanks to Bogdan and team too!

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:33 pm 

I am receiving the same error code. I have done all the steps listed by bogdan but it is still not working. Please advise.