Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:42 am 

Hi,

I downloaded the trial version of Bells & Whistles.

Every time I start MS Outlook 2003, it displays an error dialog saying (Aftet I click "Free Trial" when it loads):

Failed to get current folder reference.
Error code 0x8004003.

There was another circumstance that I got the below error as well:

Failed to setup user interface.
Error code 0x80004005.

Is there a fix to this? Is/Has anyone else had this problem? What is causing this?

Thanks in advance,

-Gregg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:15 am 
Site Admin

Hi Gregg,

Before starting Outlook, please make sure you don't have any other Office program running (like Publisher or Excel). Then start Outlook, click on the Try Now button on Bells & Whistles and let me know if you still get those errors.

If you still get them, please let me know what other Outlook add-ins do you have installed on your computer.

Thanks,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:44 am 

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for the info. I have doublelook running (a utility that synchronizes my ACT! contact database with MS Outlook in the background). Aside from that, I also have NEO (Nelson Email Organizer) that runs parallel to MS Outlook (but I don't have it start automatically) -- This simply makes the MAPI calls and isn't a "plug-in".

I started up MS Outlook and the B&W didn't display any errors. Then I started NEO. B&W displayed an error (the original error in question from my first post in this thread). It seems that B&W isn't playing nice with doublelook or NEO. I'll investigate a little more tomorrow when I get some time. However, what exactly is B&W doing while starting up? Is it trying to get the current folder reference inside MS Outlook and failing on this? Can I just disable it and "let it run" in the background? (Probably using the syntax incorrectly, but I'm sure you'll get my drift). :D

Thanks in advance!

-Gregg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gregg,

For sure, Bells & Whistles is not fully compatible with NEO. It can not be compatible, because NEO runs Outlook as an embedded object, so Bells can not perform its functios anymore.

At startup, Bells is trying to read the mail folder references, so it can inject its Notes column and right click functions. You can disable the Notes feature of Bells (from the Bells & Whistles toolbar -> Options -> Alerts & Notes - unmark the bottom options related to using Notes), then restart Outlook and see if you still get that error.

Regards,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm 

Hello Bogdan,
I am receiving the same message, and after reading your suggestion, have noticed that Outlook is configured to use Microsoft Word as the email message editor, and it is started when Outlook is started. Could this be causing the conflict?
I've changed that setting, but the problem was intermittent anyway, so I'm not sure if this has fixed the problem.

Regards,

Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jen,

If you were receiving exactly the same error message as above (the same error code when starting Outlook), the issue can not be related to using MS Word as your email editor.

If the error persists, please drop us an email by using the Contact Service Support option of the Bells & Whistles toolbar. This way, you will automatically send us information that will help us troubleshoot your problem, such as your Windows/Office versions and a list of all other Outlook add-ins that you have installed.

Regards,
Bogdan