Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

Most likely, there is a conflict between Bells & Whistles and one of your other add-ins. You can disable the Notes feature and the option to "show send again menu on sent items" - this will make the errors not to be displayed anymore.

If you wish to receive a refund, please email us with your purchase reference number.

Regards,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:55 pm 

Well, I've tried disabling other add-ins, to no avail. I also disabled the Notes feature, and still get the error consistently.

As far as the "Send Again", I would like for that to work, as I use it quite often.

All this began when I upgraded to version 3.

However, if your developers are NOT planning to look into a fix for these problems, then I will need a refund. When I emailed support before Christmas, you had said that they would look into it after the new year.

Tommy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tommy,

Please make sure you have the latest Office 2003 updates installed on your system - hopefully they will make a difference.

Unfortunately, in order to deploy the functions needed by Bells & Whistles, Outlook must be in a clean state. Most 3rd party add-ins keep Outlook clean (its internal references are not altered), however some add-ins (by accident or simply because they need to) are altering the default Outlook setup, causing other add-ins (like Bells & Whistles) to stop functioning properly. Even if you disable all your other add-ins, it is likely that the core Outlook changes are still there.

I can guarantee that, under a clean/new Outlook installation, Bells & Whistles does not trigger such errors.

Our development team is continuously trying to enhance the products, including working on the source code in order to make it more reliable when dealing with 3rd party Outlook add-ins. But it is a hit/miss process and we can't have any deadline for such a process.

Kind regards,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:24 pm 

I completely understand - did development for 12 years, many of those on an email program. It's almost impossible to fix something that you can't duplicate.

From that point of view, is it really necessary to display an error when it "fails to process selection change"? That error shows up all the time, when Outlook is running in the background. When I get here in the morning, there's 15 or more of these dialogs that I have to click OK on before Outlook will respond.

Just a few weeks ago I had to completely reinstall XP, Office, etc. So, it's a pretty clean install, except for adding Plaxo, OfficeCalendar, and Cloudmark Desktop. Again, this problem did not occur prior to upgrading B&W to version 3.

What improvements were made in v3? Is it possible to "roll back" to the previous version?

If not, then it looks like a refund would be necessary. My purchase reference # is 1-56924E6C0102DC. I bought two copies (one for me and one for my wife). We both have been having problems.

Post subject: Error Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:02 pm 

I am experiencing the same error. It is an incompatibility with OfficeCalendar. It happens every 15 minutes, because every 15 minutes your PC is syncing to the OfficeCalendar server. I have confirmed this by manually requesting a sync, in which case the message pops up immediately.

Reinstalling Bells and Whistles will not fix this issue.

Does anyone know if there is a workaround.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:11 pm 

Hi,

Most likely, there is a conflict between Bells & Whistles and one of your other add-ins. You can disable the Notes feature and the option to "show send again menu on sent items" - this will make the errors not to be displayed anymore.

If you wish to receive a refund, please email us with your purchase reference number.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm afraid the instructions above don't work. The error message still appears. I fear I will need a refund as well if I can't get these error message from stopping to appear. Please advise what I should do.

Best, Jim Scherber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:37 pm 

Jim, please see the above post (Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:24 pm). I guess a refund would be best, since this did not happen prior to upgrading to v3, and your developers don't seem to have any interest in tracking down the problem.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:56 am 

just a thought, have you contacted the makers of office calenader?

i wonder if they would be able to assist or to help to work out a solution for their incompatability with B&W?

(just trying to a little wider for a solution)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:45 pm 

The errors that display clearly say "Bells & Whistles" in the title bar. I've been a developer for over 22 years, and know that they can't help me with an error that has your product name in the title bar.

Again - this worked prior to upgrading B&W to version 3. It seems to me that something changed in the update that caused the problem.

Regardless, B&W is more if a utility for me, and not all that necessary - though it would be nice if it worked for me. Office Calendar is a requirement for my business, so there's no chance of me removing that (if the conflict DID have to do with OC), in order for B&W to work.

There are other plugins that do similar to B&W out there.

I've offered to install a debug version of B&W to help you guys track the problem, but it seems that you just don't want to mess with it. That's fine, just refund my 2 licenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:42 pm 

apologies if i appeared to represent myself as being associated with the developer. :oops:

i'm just another user - looking for other ideas/avenues to help you find a solution.

i can share your frustration - i also have had outlook addons not playing well together.

i'm not a developer, i just read conflict between 2 pluggins and my head said "it takes 2 sides for there to be a conflict, so why not check with both sides"

but as i say, i'm not a developer and with your background, you must have a better handle for what's going on than me.

i hope you find a solution soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:09 pm 

Sorry - I didn't notice that you weren't with B&W.

Honestly, I have found (as a developer) problems that resided in other apps, that "irritated" my code to the point of having errors. But, as long as my code is showing the error - then it was my responsibility to either make my code more robust, or contact the other developer with information about the problem, so they could remedy it.

B&W has offered a refund to me, but since I agreed that is what is needed, I've gotten no response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Can you please re-email us (at mailto:support@emailaddressmanager.com) with your purchase reference numbers that you need to be refunded?

At this moment there are no refunds to be processed from our end - I noticed you wrote above that you have 2 licenses and we didn't receive these days any refund request for 2 licenses. So, just in case, please resend the email.

Regarding the debug version, unfortunately that is not possible, for technical reasons. Our products are using the Softwrap system for anti-piracy protection - this system is based on XtreamLok, which prevents programs from running on debugging mode.

There is little we can do about solving conflicts with 3rd party addins. There are many add-ins that need to change the Outlook internal reference structure, in order to deploy their own functionalities, thus causing other add-ins (like ours) to receive unexpected responses (causing error messages). The more complex we develop the add-ins, the more chances to get into conflicts with other add-ins.

Kind regards,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:15 am 

Here are my thoughts on that...

What does it mean when it "can't process selection change"? Obviously, after I click OK, everything seems to work okay. It does this when Outlook is in the background. I can come into the office, and find 15 or 20 of these messages, stacked one on top of the other. And, since they are modal, the Outlook interface doesn't update until I've clicked OK on all of them. My question - does it MATTER that you can't process the selection change? If not, then why show the error - or, maybe show it once with some added info as to what the error is, to give your developers more info to work with.

Another problem is the "Failed to add Send Again button to sent messages". Again - add a little info so you'll know why, then, if it happens more than x times "Bells & Whistles is experiencing a conflict with another Outlook plugin - this featuer has been disabled"

Or - simply a "Don't show me this message again" checkbox on these errors.

There is such a thing as "too much information". If something happens, that really doesn't alter the execution of the product, then have a way to disable the errors so we can get on with our work.

As far as debugging the app - I understand. I didn't mean that I would start a debug session, but perhaps some logging to a file or something that I could send so you'd know what was going on.

Tommy