Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:33 pm 
I thought I uninstalled Bells and Whistles last year when it was crashing Outlook. However, when I tried installing the new version the install displays the following error:

Bells and Whistles for Outlook is already installed. You have to uninstall the version you currently have before continuing.

I found Bells and Whistles in my Add or Remove Programs applet. However, when I try to remove it I get the following error:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Bells and Whistles for Outlook.msi' in the box below.

It looks like the .msi file was originally extracted to a temp folder. Now that I am trying to uninstall the program Windows Installer can't find the original installation media to process the uninstall command. I tried using the .msi extracted from the current version of B&W, but it has a different release GUID.

The GUID of my old version (2.0) is {BF974361-11FC-4AB6-822B-E0B7CCC5A47D}. I can't find the .msi file in the Windows\Installer directory either.

The cleanest way to handle this would be to download the older .msi package, use it to uninstall B&W, then install again using the new (2.5) package.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:52 pm 
I went ahead and removed the previous BandW MSI information from the following registry areas:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products
HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer

At that point the old version of BandW was no longer in the Add or Remove Programs applet and the new version of BandW was able to install.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Ok :D

Probably you uninstalled the previous version by using the Control Panel Add/Remove uninstall function, instead of the uninstall function from the Bells & Whistles programs group.

Regards
Bogdan