Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:02 pm 
Loaded your product to solve a specific problem and it doesn't work. I install and everything seems fine until I atempt to BCC. We wanted to create individually addressed e-mails for our clients since some of their servers seem to be be bouncing BCC's. So we choose the option to create mail merge from BCC. At first it popped up the e-mail prompt to allow an application to access Outlook and you could choose "Yes" but no mail went out and "Operation Failed" dialog box popped up. I read you can auto answer the prompt and chose that option. Now only the "The Operation Failed" occurs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Please advise on your MS Outlook version.

If you are running MS Outlook 2000, then I suggest you to use its free update feature and so to make sure you have the latest packs for Outlook 2000. Then retry with Bells & Whistles.

Also, after you get that security message, if you choose to allow the program (Bells & Whistles) to handle emails, do you see the outgoing emails in your Outbox or Sent Items folders?

Regards
Bogdan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:28 pm 
Outlook 2000 service pack 3 9.0.0.6627. All updates applied. I am the admin and have to keep people systems up to date so my updates were already applied.

I took care of the security prompt with Microsoft Article 262631. And it seems I have isolated it down to.... When I use a distribution list which includes members from our Global Address List (meaning they resolve internally). The error message occurs. If I send out to outside mail addresses it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

It means it has something to do with the email address format. Can you post here two sample addresses (not real), one looking like one from your Global Address List and one external? I think the contacts that resolve internally may be added only with their alias names (not with their real addresses).

Also, if you look in the Sent Items folder, do you see all the emails (including the ones "sent" to contacts from your Global Address List) or just the ones sent to external contacts?

Bogdan

Post subject: Can't post screen shots
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:06 pm 
Had screen shots to show you but can't paste into this. HTML is off. I am sending to a named distritbution list. For right now it is called "test distribution list" and I select it by clicking on to and selecing it from my Contacts. Most of them will be outside e-mail addresses but there also may be members that are on the Global Address List as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

You can insert screenshots by using the Img tag from the message body edit menu.

To make it to work with all your addresses, you need to define the internal addresses (on your distribution list) using their real email addresses, not just using their alias names, otherwise Bells & Whistles will consider them as invalid email addresses.

Bogdan

Post subject: Just another clue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:15 pm 
I can put an outside e-mail address in the To: field. BCC that same address and another internal and when I hit send it clears the BCC of my entry and I get a message indicating there must be at least on recipient in the To:CC or BCC field. Very odd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I think that happens because the internal address doesn't have a normal email address format.

Can you please email me that screenshot at mailto:support@emailaddressmanager.com?

Bogdan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:33 pm 
I haven't had any luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

You did receive my emails yesterday, right?

Bogdan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:47 pm 
Do you have any suggestions. If so can you send them directly to me at mailto:thinson@guzman.com.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:58 pm 
This is the last time I guess I will post, so I guess I will uninstall if I don't hear anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

I replied you on your personal email address just after I received your email with the screenshots, a few days ago. I sent that message again, but so far I didn't receive any reply from you - see my previous post, asking you if you received my emails...

Anyway, the solution would be to make the email and send it directly to the list members and not to the list itself. So instead of selecting the contacts list for the "TO" field, you can select the members from within the list and put all of them in the "TO" field. This way Outlook will put the real email addresses of those contacts, not just their internal names.

I hope it helps,
Bogdan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:52 pm 
My e-mail addresses are mailto:thinson@guzman.com and mailto:timothydh65@hotmail.com. I have not received anything on either account.

The solution you provide is not feasable. The list has sometimes over 100 members. There is no fast way to select all the members of the DL and copy them into the BCC field. What I am assuming you are saying is that the feature of having Outlook send as individual e-mails the addresses in the BCC field does not support Distribution Lists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

No.

I'm suggesting to open a "new email" window, then to click on the "TO" button and to manually select (SHIFT+arrows) all the list members and so to add them to the "TO" field. This way Outlook should put the real email addresses, instead of their local alias names.

Bogdan