Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:24 pm 

I just downloaded Bells & Whistles last night. I have been working with it today. I have run into two problems.

The first one is that the account changing does not seem to be working. I have one pop account that I check, but then a number of other aliases that I use to send email. For example, let's say the pop account is admin@, and then I have aliases for sales@, support@, chris@, etc. When I receive an email to chris@, I would like for it to change the account to the chris@ account so that when I click Reply, it will have that account selected to send from and use its signature. I thought that is what this feature of Bells & Whistles did. Am I mistaken? It does not seem to make any change at all for me.

The other issue is with templates. This one is a bit more interesting. I have added one template so far (I deleted all of the predefined ones). I had the template set to plain text. When I click Edit, the template always reverts back to HTML. When I first added the template, I tried clicking Insert from the compose window of an email reply, but nothing was inserted. So, I clicked edit, and the template was blank. I reentered the data, and it has not disappeared again, but I still can't get it to insert into the compose window.

I am very much interested in purchasing if these issues can be sorted out. Strangely enough, these two features are the very reason I downloaded the product. :) Hope to hear back soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:27 pm 

PS - the enable text templates checkbox is indeed checked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

To answer your issues:
1. when using the function to automatically change the email account for replies, please note that the account change does not occur when you click on the reply button and write the reply message, but it occurs when you actually send the message. So, if you received an email through admin@ and you want it to be replied via chris@, the message compose window will still show admin@, but the message will be sent via chris@. To do a simple test, reply & send a sample message and look in the Sent Items folder to see through which account was it actually sent. I know it would have been nicer to actually change the selected outgoing account on the message compose window, but unfortunately we can't do it.

2. regarding the templates: v2 of Bells & Whistles used to have a single templates mode (you could have a rich text or plain text template, not both). Since many users complained about it, we added a dual mode for each template. So, if you add a new template (let's say you add a plain text template) and you want it to be inserted into a HTML message, the template will not be inserted unless it has a HTML version, too. All you need to do is to edit the template and to click to "Copy to plain text format" or "Copy to HTML format" (depending on the initial format). I hope it makes sense.

Also, when you insert a template, you must have the text cursor/focus positioned within the email body content, at the position where you want the template to be inserted. For example, if the text cursor is put in the TO field and you click to insert a template, Bells & Whistles will not insert it.

Let me know if we can further assist you.
Regards,
Bogdan

PS: nice to see an ASP member using one of our products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:27 am 

Thanks much for the reply. That explains the account change issue then. Seems it will not work for my purpose since the signature won't change in that case.

I still don't understand about the templates not working, though. As far as I can tell, I am doing everything in such a way that should work, with the cursor in the text and all, but the text is not inserted. I do understand about the HTML and plain better text now (thanks), but I had text in both modes already anyway. So, that would not be the trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

About the reply account & signatures, you can use the Signatures feature of Bells & Whistles, in order to specify & attach different signatures for different email accounts.

Is the right template (category/template name) preselected on the templates toolbar? If you select the template, then click on edit, does it display the template content?

Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:32 am 

Regarding the account change... Ah. Good point. I will look into that.

As for the templates, yes it is, and yes it does. Just when clicking Insert, nothing happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Do you use Word or Outlook's internal editor to compose emails? If you use Word, please make sure you have the latest Bells & Whistles version installed (v3.0.132). I take it you don't use Outlook 2007 beta...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:45 am 

I am using v3.0.132. I am not using 2007, although I did download the beta and try it. I later uninstalled and reinstalled 2003. When I changed the setting to use the *SPAM* internal editor instead of Word, it now works. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:52 am 

Regarding the signatures, am I missing how to set a different signature on a per account basis?

Do you know of any thing (addin, script, etc.) that can change the account to use so that the built-in signature support and correct account will be used?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:14 am 
Site Admin

About the B&W signatures, sorry for confussing you: you can create profiles and attach different signatures to different profiles. Each profile will be activated based on where the emails are sent and not based on the outgoing email account. So you can say "insert this signature if I reply to X or Y, but insert this signature when replying to someone else".

Unfortunately I don't know of any addin that can change the outgoing email address BEFORE editing the email (so the related signature is inserted). As a matter of fact, I don't think that it can be done. Outlook composes the reply message properties (including the signature to be inserted depending on the email account) based on the inbox email id & properties.

So, even if you programatically change the email account, Outlook will initially insert the signature of the email account through which the "to be replied" message was received.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:46 pm 

What I was thinking is that the email account should be changed when the email actually arrives. That way, by the time you want to reply, it is already changed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, that would be the theoretical solution. However, this means to be allowed (by the Outlook programming interface) to alter the email headers of received emails and Outlook doesn't let you do it.

The thing is, we have to stick to whatever Microsoft offers via the Outlook programming interface. If we cross the line and start playing with Inbox items by our own, we would create an addin that triggers annoying Outlook security warnings, that is likely not to be compatible with 3rd party addins and that can lead to unexpected Outlook crashes...

Regards,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:48 pm 

Ah, gotcha. I didn't know if it was provided through the interface. I think I am going to switch back to PocoMail, actually. PocoMail is certainly not without fault, but it seems to work the way I want for the most part. Thanks for taking the time to reply on my messages. Best of luck with your products!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

You are welcome. You may also try TheBat!, if you are willing to spend some time and code your own scripts for automating email properties...

Best of luck,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:33 pm 

I tried The Bat in the past. At that time at least, I liked PocoMail better. I really liked the way I was able to do my order management integration with Outlook (rather than spawning a separate EXE via script as I do with PocoMail), but there were just too many inconveniences. I was having trouble copying text from the reading pane, which was the biggest problem for me (since I do it frequently), and since I couldn't get the account handling to work the way I needed (and a couple other smaller issues), switching back to PocoMail seemed the best choice. I did like the way the templates worked with your solution better than the PocoMail context menu method. Good work. For someone already using Outlook and happy with it, your software is a great enhancement. Good luck again!