Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:43 pm 

Is there a way to share my text templates with another user? i.e send him a datafile which he installs on his computer. Better yet, put the datafile on a share drive so anyone in my company can use them. thanks, vic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

You need to export your Bells & Whistles templates and then you can share them with another users that have Bells & Whistles installed.

In order to export Bells & Whistles templates, you must export some keys from registry. Please be careful when dealing with registry. Basically you need to open the registry editor (Windows Start->Run->"regedit") and then search for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BellsAndWhistles. Export the whole Bells & Whistles tree and then open with notepad the .reg file and delete everything except text templates (with binary data) and address path [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BellsAndWhistles]. In this way other users will only import the templates (to import double click on the reg file after you saved the changes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:44 pm 

:(
This did not work for me
I have two Windows users on the same computer that both need the same templates.
I tried the registry thing and it did not work.
any more ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:54 am 
Site Admin

Hello,

Can you please tell us what version of Bells & Whistles do you use?

Does the second user have the right to make registry modifications? If the user it is restricted to import registry keys he/she will not be able to import the templates.

Please try to restart Outlook after the registries have been imported.

In the latest version of Bells & Whistles there is a new and easier exporting/importing templates system. If you wish to upgrade your license please send an email with your current license details to mailto:support@emailaddressmanager.com and the support team will tell you the steps for the upgrade process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:45 pm 

I am currently using the trial version from your website, I wanted to make sure everything (such as the shared templates) was going to work before I purchased it. Both users have admin rights, tried restarting outlook and the computer, no luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Hello,

Please tell us what version of Bells & Whistles do you use (version 2.x or version 3.x)?

You see the back-up method from the two versions is totally different. While in version 2 you have to manually save some keys from the registry, in version 3 you don't have to do that. There is a special feature in version 3.x that allows users to save the templates and then import it on another computer (or on the same computer but with a different Windows account). The function it is called "Import and Export" and you can find it under the Bells & Whistles 3.x menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 pm 

as I said previously I am using whatever version is on your trial download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:18 pm 

I found it is version 3 and I found the import/export feature, but I can't find the file type its looking for, .bwo, I have searched my entire computer an no such file exists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

You must firstly export the templates to a BWO file, then you can copy them to another computer and import them. So, you need to write/insert your custom templates, then export them to a BWO file, then copy them to another computer, then import the BWO templates file on it.

Regards,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:13 pm 

yeah, i figured that out after I posted, here is the problem I am having now. I have about 50 templates in about 6 folders, when i exported and imported to another account on the same computer only 2 of the templates and 3 folders imported
when i tried doing it again I got an error code 52

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Is it possible to let us study the BWO file with the templates? If you want to, please email it to mailto:bogdan@emailaddressmanager.com. We would need it to see what is wrong in its structure.

Bogdan