Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:20 pm 
After I installed Bells & Whistles Outlook started crashing frequently, usually when I opened, replied, or sent an email message. After I disabled Bells & Whistles using the Outlook Add-in Utility the problem went away. There was no error message displayed; Outlook would just go away and the "would you like to send a message to Microsoft" dialog would be displayed.

I'm using Outlook 2003 SP1 on Windows XP Pro SP2 with the following add-ins loaded:

Business Contact Manager 2 beta
Lookout 1.2.0.1924
Microsoft VBA
NewsGator 2.0.3.3
SpamBayes 1.0 (July 04)

I realize that this is a lot of plug-ins, but I wasn't running into any problems before Bells & Whistles was installed. The crashes started immediately after I added a note to an email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jim,

There must be a conflict with a 3rd party add-in, related to the Email Notes feature. As you have seen, this feature adds a new column to the Outlook mailbox view and if there is any other add-in handling the mailbox view, it may get in conflict.

You can enable Bells & Whistles, then open the B&W Options window, go to the Alerts & Notes tab and disable the email notes function (the last 2 checkboxes from the list). Then restart Outlook and please let us know if Outlook will still crash.

Regards
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:57 pm 
Okay, I've re-enabled Bells & Whistles and have turned off Email Notes. I'll try it for a couple of days and see if Outlook is more stable.

Interestingly, even after I disabled B&W the Notes column was still showing in the Inbox and Outlook was stable again.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:50 pm 
Outlook seems more stable now. Do you have any suggestions for isolating which plug-in might be causing the conflict? Email notes are the main reason that I'm interested in Bells & Whistles.

Thanks,

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Jim wrote:
Outlook seems more stable now. Do you have any suggestions for isolating which plug-in might be causing the conflict? Email notes are the main reason that I'm interested in Bells & Whistles.

We are currently testing for conflicts with 3rd party add-ins. For sure, NewsGator and Business Contact Manager are not causing any conflicts. We have still to test with SpamBayes and Lookout.

Anyway, to avoid such potential conflicts with unkown (less popular) add-ins, we will have an updated Bells & Whistles version early in January which will use a different engine for the notes feature. If you can drop us a message at mailto:info@emailaddressmanager.com with your email address, we will notify you by email when it will be available.

Bogdan

Post subject: Outlook crashes also
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:36 am 
I am having a similar problem. When B&W is installed on a new machine running Outlook 2003 it crashes continually. When I uninstall B&W, Outlook runs fine. When I reinstall B&W the crashes return.

I dont have an Alerts and Notes tab (no tabs at all) for B&W options, just one big option window with alerts at the bottom so perhaps I have the new version. The only thing I want B&W to do is BCC copies. Everything else is unchecked.

It just causes Outlook to crash continually. Any ideas?

Dave

Post subject: Re: Outlook crashes also
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

Dave wrote:
It just causes Outlook to crash continually. Any ideas?

Dave

For sure you are using an older version of Bells & Whistles. I advise you to uninstall the current installed version, then to click on the top/right Download link from this page and to download and install the latest product version.

Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:15 pm 
Yes, it seems it was not the latest version. I downloaded the newest and the problem is now fixed.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:51 am 
i have also experienced outlook hanging when sending an email with B&W enabled.
after a little testing, i found that it was the "automatically put people i reply to in" [Contacts] setting that was causing my problem.

has anyone else experienced this?
Windows XP Pro
Office XP

thanks DBB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:33 am 
Site Admin

If you have LOTS of Contacts, then indeed that feature may cause a small delay, because it firstly looks to avoid duplicate entries on your Contacts list, then it adds the address to your Contacts.

Bogdan

Post subject: Not a small delay...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:10 am 
I love the features and concept of B&W, but since I have installed it, there is a delay (or I should say unacceptable delay) when I try to compose a new email or reply to an email. I assume from what I have read and my own experience that this is caused by the "Auto Greeting" insertion.

I read through the threads, and I saw you call this a "small delay," cause by having a large amount of contacts. My question is this, you position B&W for Outlook as a Add-In that increases productivity and a useful business tool; one assumes that business users, especially people in marketing and sales, have a large amount of contacts, given that fact, doesn't the delay that B&W causes defeat the purpose of some of the functionallity of your product?

This delay is one of the most annoying flaws in an Add-In program I have come accross and has forced me to uninstall B&W. I hope you are working on this because I was really excited about your product and wanted to send your link to others in my firm, but after using it for a week or two, I have found it to cause my more fustration.

FYI: I am using a Dell Latitude D600 with 2GB of RAM and running Win XP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:47 am 
Site Admin

Many thanks for your feedback. I do get your point and I agree with it. Our programmers are already working on making the product faster (and better). Our biggest problem is that, although Microsoft provides methods for Outlook programming, they are also subject to bugs and strange behaviours which force us to use "work around" solutions that can result in slowing down Outlook.

If you want to, please make an account on this forum and select to be notified on topic replies. I will post a comment on this topic when the updated version will be released - probably next week.

Bogdan

Post subject: B&W Crashes with AVG
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:55 pm 
Hi -

I'm also having problems with B&W 2.5, Outlook XP, and AVG 7.0. I can start Outlook and B&W, but about 5 minutes later, I start getting a series of fault messages indicating programs can't load. I've disabled all the ones I can afford to to, but I need to have the virus scanner.

The other annoying aspect of this crash is I have to power off. There isn't any way to invoke Task Manager to selectively stop Outlook.

Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

I am not sure that Bells & Whistles is the cause of those errors...

Can you please copy and paste the error message window content on this forum? You can do that simply by clicking "CTRL + C" (copy) when the error window is displayed, then "CTRL + P" (paste) in a message reply window on this forum.

Thanks,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:07 pm 
bogdan wrote:
I am not sure that Bells & Whistles is the cause of those errors...

Can you please copy and paste the error message window content on this forum? You can do that simply by clicking "CTRL + C" (copy) when the error window is displayed, then "CTRL + P" (paste) in a message reply window on this forum.

Thanks,
Bogdan

As often happens, I'm getting a different error. This one happened when I finished a draft email and clicked the calendar. I did get a snap for you ;-)

With any luck, I'll get the first error I tried to report as that's the one that concerns me. Better yet, if I can can dupe the issue and give you the steps.

From what I've seen and read, I like the program so would like to work through these issues.

Now, I don't know if it's related, but when I use the Reply feature, the program is not adding the "Hi [first name] ". It adding my BCC though.

Let me know the best way to help you.

Thanks for your assistance.

Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Anne,

Can you please let me know if you have any other addins installed on your Outlook?

I don't think it has anything to do with AVG, but it might be a conflict somewhere is a 3rd party addin... So far we fixed every conflict that was reported to us (or that we identified through our own testing) related to 3rd party addins, so it would be great to know if you have any...

Thanks,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:01 pm 
bogdan wrote:
Can you please let me know if you have any other addins installed on your Outlook?

Using your Add-in utility, I see:

- Bells and Whistles
- Microsoft VBA for Outlook
- FranklinCovey Command bar (Part of PlanPlus)
- Ella (anti-spam and prioritization program)
- FranklinCovey PlanPlus Governor (Part of PlanPlus)
- Plaxo (contacts update app)

I also have the following toolbar buttons:
- AVG (Grisoft anti-virus)
- NEO (Nelson email organizer)

I also have the Palm Outlook conduits. But, the good news is that I've loaned out my PocketPC, so ActiveSync isn't running. That app by far, has caused me the most headaches with Outlook. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a third party conflict or even Outlook itself. The problem has been isolating it. Prior to installing B&W, I had few errors with Outlook. Since installing your app, I've had 4 crashes in 2 days.

With the exception of PlanPlus, each of the above apps has been running for over a year. It's the app that periodically gives me .Net errors. It also has an ancillary applet called PowerNotes that doesn't like to close when Outlook closes.

Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Hi Anne,

We tested with every add-in that you have and unfortunately there is a conflict between Bells & Whistles and PlanPlus. PlanPlus adds its custom forms over the regular Outlook mailbox view which causes Bells & Whistles to fail reading the required information for its features.

Unfortunately this isn't a conflict that can be solved by updating Bells & Whistles, because from a programming point of view we have no way to "see" how PlanPlus alters the Outlook views.

Sorry for the bad news,
Bogdan

Post subject: FranklinCovey PlanPlus
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:16 pm 
bogdan wrote:
Hi Anne,

We tested with every add-in that you have and unfortunately there is a conflict between Bells & Whistles and PlanPlus. PlanPlus adds its custom forms over the regular Outlook mailbox view which causes Bells & Whistles to fail reading the required information for its features.

Sorry for the bad news,
Bogdan

Hi -

look at the bright side, the problem was identified and you've saved me from systematically unloading and testing all the add-ins. That wasn't a task I was looking forward to doing. I'll drop a note to the FranklinCovey people.

I appreciate your feedback on this issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

You're welcome.

I am sure there is nothing buggy with PlanPlus, it's just that due to its functionality it makes other addins (like Bells & Whistles) that need to hook on the main Outlook views not to work properly.

Regards
Bogdan