Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Extreme Slowness
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:34 pm 

Hello. First, thanks for this product - I have multiple companies that I run, and wanted a quick way to insert signature lines, and use different outgoing email accounts. Super job!

Anyway, my issue is that whenever I select Reply my system becomes extremely slow. I can type away and it fills it in about 5-10 seconds after I've typed my message. My processes explorer shows a jump to 98%-100% cpu usage (for outlook) each time I type! I looked on your site, but didn't see anything to fix this. It's really tough to type when you can't see it and it takes so long. Any help would be appreciated!

Specs:
I'm running xp, outlook 2002 sp3
I have few contacts in my outlook contact list - less than 25
Recipients are usually 1-5, so even the reply list is very low
No distribution lists (so far)
Only seems to happen on "Reply" or "Reply All"
Although I have other Outlook plug-ins, only Adobe was only one installed prior to this issue happening.

Post subject: Re: Extreme Slowness
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Can you please advise what other plug-ins do you use on Outlook? If you disable only Bells & Whistles, is Outlook getting faster when composing a reply?

Regards,
Bogdan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:13 pm 

I have the same problem.

Outlooks 2003
Mods: Bells and Whistles - Current version

There are no other mods in this.

When I click on reply the program calls EXCEL.exe which *SPAM* up a lot of processor power for about 15 - 30 seconds. Seeing as I reply to about 200 email a day ... I'm not interested in adding an extra hour of work to my daily routine so that I can stare at my computer.

The problem only persists when your mod is installed. We had a similar problem when Outlook called word.exe on clicking reply. We disabled Word as the editor and the problem went away. (this was years before we tried to use this mod)

I love the software ... save for this debilitating error. Let me know if you have a fix for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:48 pm 

Hello,
I had only Adobe PDF maker at the time I first experienced the problem--- since, though I added Prophet (a sql contact list) and mailsanctity (a spam filter). I was running Norton IS in the background (which sometimes would/wouldnt) work on my email.

anyway, due to some issues with norton breaking my email I ended up uninstalling it, mailsanctity spam, and your product. I then added your product back in, and still have the issue - however, it is much more sporadic. So, I added back in spamfilter.

So, I'm now more confused as it is so sporadic, and I'm still trying to pinpoint WHICH type of emails (or programs running in backgroun) cause this issue when I select "reply".

Next steps? haha

>>>>>Can you please advise what other plug-ins do you use on Outlook? If you disable only Bells & Whistles, is Outlook getting faster when composing a reply?

Regards,
Bogdan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm 

I guess I didnt note that this is somewhat sporatic for me as well. Sometimes the reply function works perfectly - othertimes it's a real drag / time *SPAM*.

asmorian - you should openen up task manager and look to see what program is using that processing power when it doesslow down like that. i'm guessing you'll find it to be Excel just as I did (does make any sense to anyone?)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:08 am 
Site Admin

@ Graham - why is Excel starting up when replying to a message? I mean, normally Excel shouldn't start with an email reply, unless maybe you are using a message template that requires Excel...

@ asmorian - can you please open the Bells options and unmark the option to use nicknames from Contacts when inserting a personalized greeting on replies.

The point is: if the above option is enabled, Bells will scan your Contacts to see if that email address is associated with a Contact and then it will look for a a nickname associated with it. This normally cause a delay (more or less, depending on how many contact do you have).

So just disable the nicknames for the automated greeting and see if Outlook/Bells will work faster when hitting reply.

--------------
http://www.outlook-apps.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:21 am 

I have no idea why it would call Excel - that's why I posted here. It only happens when your software is installed.

There's no special or odd templates that we've created - just regular email that we usually cut and paste from microsoft word (but were hoping to use this software to cut out the need for Word)

It's just regular text. A couple email templates have a URL link in them - but it's just a regular HTML email

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:49 am 
Site Admin

for sure Bells has nothing to do with Excel - actually it's the first time ever when a Bells user reports this issue (the product is already live for 3-4 years). Maybe, when you copy/paste HTML text, it contains a table in it and Outlook is calling Excel to handle the table design.

Please try the solution that I posted above - disabling the nicknames search for greetings, it should make it faster.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:31 pm 

Hello,
thanks for the suggestions. I will try it out over a few days and see if it makes a difference (since it doesn't do it every time). Let you know the outcome.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:16 pm 

I also have the same problem, however it is only with certain HTML emails.

It seems to happen with emails that I reply to from PayPal when I reply to the auotmated emails that PayPal sends to me when someone has sent me a payment. When PayPal sends an email the 'From:' line has two email address, for example: 'mailto:sendmail@paypal.com; on behalf of; mailto:someone@somedomain.com'. Could this be the problem?

Wayne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:37 pm 

My issue does occur under that instance as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Did you test by un-marking the option to use nicknames from Contacts when inserting a personalized greeting on replies, as suggested on my previous post?

Thanks,
Bogdan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:57 pm 

Hi Bogan,

The only options I have checked are:

Always Reply Using: HTML
Insert Signature
Alert On Missing Attachment(s)
Notify Me To Reply To All Addresses

I do not have any other options checked.

Thanks
Wayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:43 am 

Hi Bogan,

I have found that turning of the signature stops the message taking a long time to open and send.

Thanks
Wayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:48 am 

Unfortunately I still have the problem even without signatures turned on :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:49 am 

Hello,

Can you please tell me your computer configuration? Maybe this is affecting the speed of Outlook, as you disabled all Bells&Whistles options that could make Outlook slower.

Kind regards.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:35 pm 

Hello Andra,

I am using Windows XP SP2 and Office 2007.

Thank you
Wayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:42 am 

Hello,

Have you upgraded from Outlook 2003 to 2007? There are a lot of people complaining on Microsoft's Office forum about Outlook 2007 working very slow, especially when upgrading from 2003.
There are some solutions posted there: updates, patches, disabled add-ins. There isn't one that works for everybody. You can go there and see these topics and find a solution that fits you, as the problem doesn't seem to be caused by our product.

This is the link: http://www.microsoft.com/office/communi ... g=en&cr=US

Kind regards.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:29 am 

Thanks Andra,

Yes I have upgraded, will have a read of the forums on Microsoft.

Thank you
Wayne