Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:02 pm 

Hello,
I am very interested in purchasing AutoReply Manager to get the capability of including original email text in an auto-reply. However, i cannot get the demo version to work. i have downloaded, installed and reinstalled and tried different rules to no avail. It would be great if the software worked as advertised. Can you please help me figure out how to make it work?

Using Outlook 2003 w/ Exchange Server 2003

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Hi!

What exactly doesn't work? It doesn't send the auto-reply emails at all OR it sends them without the original message attached? Also, can you please detail your auto-reply rule configuration?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:32 pm 

I will clarify--it does not work with the particular criteria that I need it to use. For example, it will not auto reply at all if I use the Exchange account setting ("if message is received through one of the checked accounts") and this is what I would prefer to use. It will work with the criteria to check the message if received into a specific folder with one keyword specified in the subject line but I need to use a keyword *phrase* and I have tested it till I'm blue and can't get it to work. Is the app not designed to handle more than one word in the subject line? if not, it is useless to me.

thanks for the help,

Kathy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:03 pm 

Ok, need to add updated info... I got the keyword phrase to work by not using quotes in the subject line phrase. But is there a way to use the Exhange account instead of the mailbox folder as the criteria?

thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

It should be working fine by just selecting the email account (Exchange) without selecting the mail folder. Are the incoming emails configured to be moved to various folders, depending on some Outlook rules?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:02 pm 

Yes, there are several rules configured in Outlook to move messages into various folders based on the particular subject line.

It was working for a while yesterday and now it has stopped. The log indicates that the auto reply is working but in fact it is not. It says message process by rule "Auto Reply test"... but it does not reply.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:43 am 
Site Admin

If you are using the demo version, please note that it only allows you to generate & send max 10 auto-replies per session. Maybe the program already sent 10 auto-replies and it stopped sending more because of the demo version limitation...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:07 pm 

I don't remember seeing anything about a limit of 10 auto-replies in the demo version so that is probably what is going on. I didn't think i had used it that many times, but I have not yet confirmed that it works like we need it to. I would like to test it a bit more so if I remove and reinstall the software will it reset and allow me another 10 trials?

thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

If Auto Reply Manager doesn't have a license activated, when Outlook starts you should get a popup window informing you about the trial version limitations.

Still, in order to reset the auto-reply count, all you have to do is to exit & restart Outlook. This action resets the trial auto-reply count to 0. If the auto-replies are still not sent after the Outlook restart, then there must be a different problem cause.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:42 pm 

Ok, thanks for the helpful info. I thought I had restarted Outlook a couple of times but after removing and reinstalling the software it is working again. Will proceed with purchasing the product.

thanks,

Kathy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:44 am 
Site Admin

As a tip, mainly if you are using other add-ins too: when you plan to restart Outlook, make sure you wait at least 30 seconds between the Outlook shutdown and the next Outlook start. Some add-ins require more time to unload in background, so give them a little time before the restart otherwise Outlook may behave strangely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:46 pm 

Ok, thanks for the tip. Another question...concerning the subject keywords filter. We want to use this add-in to generate auto-replies to emails being submitted through the city of Austin website. There is a form on the website for citizens to email the Councilmembers. What happens is the person originating the email selects a subject from a drop down box, eg., Budget, and it is appended to an automatically inserted subject phrase - Submitted from CM Shade's website-- so that the email subject line received by the councilmember's website would read, "Submitted from CM Shade's Website - Budget." I have specified the keyword phrase "Submitted from CM Shade's Website" as the filter criteria b/c we never know what the writer is going to select as their subject matter option.

So, before when I was testing the demo, I was testing on my own computer with emails generated through an actual email client like Gmail and it worked properly. Now that I am actually testing using the website email form it is not working. :-( Do you think the problem is the subject line? everything else is the same....

thanks .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

If you are using quotes around a phrase, the add-in will look for email subjects that exactly match that phrase (instead of containing that text). So it will discard all emails with subjects like "Submitted from CM Shade's Website - Budget".

If the text "Submitted from CM Shade's Website" is shared among all web site submitted forms, you should define the auto-reply filter as *Submitted from CM Shade's Website* (use * before & after the text, not quotes).

Let me know if it works now (I tested it now, just in case, and it worked fine).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:48 pm 

Ok, I did as you instructed and it is still not working but at least it logged an error message. But the error message was only generated after I changed the Accts and Folder Filter to use the Exchange account rather than the Inbox folder. The error statement in the log says "Failed to process message redirection. Outlook cannot do this action on this type of attachment." There is no attachment on the email. Any ideas???

Kathy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

To determine the cause of that error, we need you to run a special version of Auto Reply Manager that will log all error details.

To do so, please follow these steps:
1. download & install this Auto Reply Manager version: http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/Down ... iag-2.0.92
2. run Outlook and use Auto Reply Manager until you get that error message ("Failed to process message redirection. Outlook cannot do this action on this type of attachment.")
3. as soon as you get that error, please find the file called arm.log located in C:\Documents and Settings\<user_account_name>\Application Data\DS Development\AutoReplyManager (for Windows XP) or C:\Users\<user_account_name>\AppData\Roaming\DS Development\AutoReplyManager (for Windows Vista)
4. email us the file arm.log

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:05 pm 

Hello again,

I followed your instructions--removed the ARM that was previously installed and then installed the special error-capturing version. Of course, it would not generate an error message this time. I tried it with both the Exchange account and the Mailbox/Inbox folder filter and neither generated an auto reply nor an error statement in the log. Go figure. I will try it again later this afternoon. Have to wait until I can get another opportunity when the council member won't need her computer.

Is it possible that there could be a conflict between ARM and one of the other rules set up in Outlook? When I am using/testing ARM I disable the rule she currently has to generate auto-replies but there are *many* other rules set up to process her high volume of emails and I am not disabling all of them--they are primarily for moving emails into various folders in the mailbox and personal folders. There is one other auto-reply rule that deals with emails received from the City Council website that are sent to all of the council members, not just this one and those have a different subject line. I'm just trying to give you more information so that hopefully, one day we can get to the bottom of this!

Kathy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

If no auto-reply was generated and no error was recorded on the log, it means the incoming email didn't match the rule filters. Is it possible to post here (or email us) screenshots with all the Auto Reply Manager options that you setup for a rule that is not working?

The Outlook rules about moving emails to various folders should have nothing to do with Auto Reply Manager, as they should be working fine together.

I am sure we will solve this issue!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:03 pm 

I just sent an email to support@emailaddressmanager.com with a Word doc showing all of the screen shots in ARM. I couldn't get back on the councilmember's computer so I took the shots of my setup on my system and made them exactly the same. I hope you can figure it out.

thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:01 pm 

Hi, I was wondering if you recieved my email with the ARM screenshots?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:08 am 
Site Admin

Just in case, please resend the screenshots to bogdan@emailaddressmanager.com... thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:16 pm 

I just sent the email to your other address. Please let me know if you need any additional info.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, this is strange, I didn't receive any email from you on bogdan@emailaddressmanager.com (and I was told the initial email was also not received at support@emailaddressmanager.com). I am 100% sure our email accounts are online & working.

I am not sure what is going on, can you try to email me using a regular webmail service, like yahoo or gmail? Maybe this strange situation is also related to your failed Auto Reply tests? I mean, you see the original message being sent, but obviously it doesn't reach the destination...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:13 pm 

Ok, just sent from my gmail account...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

I confirm we received it now. I will be in contact with you by email.

When we solve it, I will post the solution here, so others can read & use it on similar cases.

later edit: I've sent you a reply on your Gmail account, from bogdan@emailaddressmanager.com. In case you didn't receive it, please check the Spam folder of your Gmail account too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:53 pm 

Bogdan, I sent another email 2 days ago with screenshots and explained that the autoreply function worked properly but did not include the original email text which is the key feature we need this for! Did you get my email (sent from City acct and Gmail) and the screenshots attached? We were really hoping to have this resolved by the end of this week.

thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:57 am 
Site Admin

I replied you on 2nd of September, to your gmail account, most likely the email got trapped by a spam filter...

Here is a copy of my email, related to the original email text that didn't get included in the auto-reply:

Is it possible to send me (as a file attachment) a sample email that was generated from your site (to which ARM should reply)? To attach it, simply click to reply to this email, then move to the mail folder where the web form emails are stored and drag&drop a sample message to this email (it will get included as a file attachment).

I’m interested to get the email as it is received by Outlook, not as a screenshot or copied email content. This way we can understand what’s different in the email structure (because surely this is why the original email content is not included).

Thank you,
Bogdan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:49 pm 

Just sent an email from the web form.