Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:20 pm 

I am having trouble with the add-in. It seems to only work when Outlook is open. I am using Outlook 2003 with an Exchange server. If I close Outlook I get no auto reply, but if I send an e-mail from my Gmail account when Outlook is open then I do get a reply.

E-mail to one of our employees...

"Joe,

It does indeed look like the “Auto Reply Manager” does not work once Outlook it closed. I sent a test e-mail from my Gmail account with my Outlook account open, and I got an immediate reply. I can also see the little purple arrow on the envelope icon next to the e-mail, which indicates that the message was replied to in Outlook.

When I close Outlook and send another e-mail from my Gmail account there is no reply. When I reopen Outlook I receive the message from my Gmail account, but the message reached our Outlook/Exchange server while my local Outlook was closed and it sits there until I go to download it (reopen Outlook). Once Outlook is reopened the e-mail is downloaded, but it is not considered a new e-mail since it was waiting on the server. To sum it up… for it to work it seems like your local Outlook account has to be open with your auto reply rule enabled when any new mail hits the server. Not good…

I will research this and let you know what I find out."

Please advise... this is driving me up the wall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:00 am 

Hi VaughanJer,

We are sorry for this inconvenience but Auto Reply Manager is working only when Outlook is started.

Kind Regards,
Andrew Smith

DS Development Support Team

http://www.outlook-apps.com
Email Productivity Blog
Follow us on Twitter
Join our Facebook Fan Page
Email: support@outlook-apps.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:16 pm 

I don't get it... what's the point of this software then?! I must be missing something...

Here is a typical scenario that would require the use of auto reply manager...

1. An employee is working in the office, but has to leave to hit the road or catch a plane.
2. He/she sets their auto reply rule to "enabled" for their Outlook Exchange account, and tests its functionality before leaving. It appears to work...
3. He/she then turns off their computer and packs up.

AT THIS POINT THE AUTO REPLY MANAGER DOESN'T WORK BECAUSE OUTLOOK IS CLOSED!?!?!?!

4. He/she arrives at the destination and turns their computer back on to check mail.

AT THIS POINT THE AUTO REPLY MANAGER IS WORKING BECAUSE OUTLOOK IS OPEN?!?!?!

5. He/she realizes that none of the messages that she received while traveling (Outlook closed) were replied to, but now the auto reply manager starts replying to incoming messages (Outlook open) even though he/she is done traveling and is able to check and reply to mail.

So, it looks like this software will work when you are out of the office, but you have to keep Outlook open constantly and have your PC connected to the Internet constantly for the software to be able to reply to incoming messages while you are unavailable. If you are in a dead spot and/or don't have Outlook open, then the software is useless.

Please tell me I am wrong...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:52 am 

Hi VaughanJer,

Yes, you are right with this scenario but all of the Outlook Add-ins are using Outlook resources and it is not possible to do what you request! It's like you are trying to send an email while your computer and Outlook is shut down!
Please let me know if I can further assist you!

Kind Regards,
Andrew Smith

DS Development Support Team

http://www.outlook-apps.com
Email Productivity Blog
Follow us on Twitter
Join our Facebook Fan Page
Email: support@outlook-apps.com