Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:33 pm 
Hello!

Does anybody know a way to keep a Microsoft Access .mdb file online (on IIS server) storing a contact list and have it manipulated (INSERT and SELECT operations) using Microsoft Outllok 98?

In another words,
When the Outlook user adds somebody to his/her contact list, this contact automatically goes to the .mdb online.
So it would be stored in his/her computer and on the access.

My clients can be added to the .mdb by internet form (which they would do by theirselves) and by my co-workers` Outlook. So I need to keep it unique.

Someone told me I coud use the LDAP. But i don`t know if I should take my time learning this stuff.

What`s the best way to solve this?
Thanks,
Eduardo Mello

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

If you MUST you Outlook 98, then LDAP is probably the only solution. Or you can deploy an Exchange server (using Outlook 98 as a client for it) and keep the contacts list on the server, as a shared address book and then write a script on the server to handle the contacts for the MDB file.

If you don't have to use Outlook 98, maybe the Web version of Outlook can help more, because the address book would be stored on the web server directly.

I hope it helps,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:04 pm 
Thanks bogdan. But there is something i diddnt understand, it's possible to have LDAP and keep the contact list on a MDB?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

LDAP is using a MAB (master address book) to store contacts. The MAB file is in fact a MDB database...

Take a look at http://www.sharewareconnection.com/titl ... server.htm for a list of LDAP tools, maybe one of them can help you solve the problem without coding...

Regards
Bogdan