Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:48 am 

In extracting from files, I have discovered that aliases are not recorded with the e-mail address if they are not in single or double quotes. Also, they are not recorded even when they are quoted, if the e-mail address with the alias is not the first appearance of that e-mail address in a file.

These are signficant weaknesses that need correcting before I would consider purchasing this product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:54 am 
Site Admin

Hello,

It would be impossible for Email Address Collector to know which is the alias name for a specific email address except the cases you mentioned or if you extract directly from Outlook. The text where email address can be extracted can be formatted in a huge number of ways. That is why we inserted the "Build Alias" function in Email Address Collector.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:49 am 

Extracting aliases from e-mail addresses found in ordinary files is obviously a difficult problem. However, in the case of aliases embedded in the To:, From:, Cc: and Bcc: headers it is not difficult at all. SMTP programs have been correctly parsing these fields since e-mail was invented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:50 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

I think there might be a confussion here. Do you want to extract email addresses hidden behind alias names from within Outlook emails or from local disk files (such as Word files)?

Email Address Collector does extract addresses nested behind names displayed in the To, CC, BCC fields, as long as the email address is actually saved in the message. So, if you extract from your sent items folder, the program will extract all email addresses from the TO field even if they are behind alias names. But, if the TO field is displayed in the replied section of an email (within the email body), Outlook does not always include the email address for the alias name. Briefly speaking, if the alias names are actually in the email header, the program will extract their email addresses. If the alias names are in the email body, it may not be possible to extract any address, as there is no address nested.

I hope it makes sense.

Regards,
Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:04 am 

I am not using Outlook or Outlook Express. I tried to capture e-mail addresses from text mailboxes. The issue I have is not in capturing the addresses. That seems to work fine. The problem is missing many aliases that ought to have been easy to match against the correspondng addresses.

I have observed that EAC will capture an alias only from message headers, and then only if the alias is quoted and the alias is included with the address in the first appearance of the address.

For example, in the following mailbox file excerpt

To: "joe" <joe@joe.com>, mailto:pete@pete.com
Cc: steve <steve@steve.com>

The alias "joe" will be matched with mailto:joe@joe.com because it was quoted. The alias "pete" will not be matched with mailto:pete@pete.com because the address' first appearance was not with "pete", and steve will not be matched with mailto:steve@steve.com because steve wasn't quoted.

These are serious limitations and should be corrected. And, if anyone is interested in a nice feature I could certainly use if added, I'd like to see EAC have a mode to remove addresses from a session that are found in text files. I'd like to construct a file full of e-mail bounce messages and have EAC take them out of my e-mail address list.