Powerful Outlook Add-ins

Service Support Forum for DS Development Add-ins and Utilities
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:18 pm 
Hi,
We came across an issue in using the Group List functions in the application: Email Address Collector 3.2

Applications involved:
Excel 2003
Outlook 2003
Exchange 2003
Email Address Collector 3.2

Issue:
We created an Excel csv file with email addresses and used this as the "Other Files" source in Email Address Collector.
In Email Address Collector, we created a Group while linked to Outlook Contacts. The group is created in Outlook Contacts as expected.
The issue comes when selecting email address from the source list and moving this to the group that was created. At this point Email Address Collector will ask "Add selected address(es) to Address book?" and when "Yes" is clicked, it will proceed with a status menu showing the addresses being added. In Email Address Collector, the address do not show up in the linked Outlook Contacts window. When checking Outlook, it is seen that the email address have been imported to the "Deleted Items" folder.

I've also tried the same process with the link to the Windows Address Book and it works as expected. In Email Address Collector, the addresses show up in the linked Windows Address Book (WAB) window. When I open the actual WAB it also shows the group and added emails correctly.

Please let me know if you need any more information and what I can do to remedy this situation. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Can you please advise if you are using v3.2 or v3.2-c? You can see the version number on the main window title bar.

If you are using v3.2, I strongly advise to upgrade to the latest version. You would have to uninstall the current version, then to download & install the latest version from our site (see the top-right Download button from this page). We are aware of an export bug to the Outlook Contacts groups in v3.2, but it was fixed in v3.2-c. When upgrading, you will not loose your current registration key.

Regards
Bogdan

Post subject: version
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:44 pm 

We are using v3.2-c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

I just did a similar test and it appears to be working just fine.

Can you please repeat the test, but this time just add only one email address to the desired group? Make sure the group name is selected before you add the address to it - so firstly left click on the group name (so it turns blue), then select the address and add it there.

Thanks,
Bogdan

Post subject: No Luck
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:20 pm 

I tried it according to your directions but still the same issue comes up. I downloaded the application again and re-installed it but no change as well. Any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

Can you please repeat the test, then close Email Address Collector, go to its installation folder and email us the file called log.txt : please email it to mailto:support@emailaddressmanager.com.

Bogdan

Post subject: Alternative
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:56 pm 

I tried to email mailto:support@emailaddressmanager.com yesterday but received an undeliverable today. I'll post the log.txt info to a PM if that's all right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, we received the log file, unfortunately it doesn't report any errors about the contacts group.

If you try to add a new contact via Email Address Collector to your Outlook Contacts root folder (not within a group), does it work fine?

Also, are your Outlook Contacts using any shared contacts properties or do they belong to an Exchange group?

Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:13 pm 

Adding a new contact to the Outlook Contacts root folder works fine.

I'm not as familiar with the second question you asked. My Contacts are linked up with the Exchange Server. Before importing the Excel list, I had no contacts at all. In addition, my Contacts folder is not being shared, nor am I linking to someone else's Shared Contacts list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, then instead of creating the new group using Email Address Collector, please open Outlook, go to the Contacts view (Go->Contacts), then open the Actions menu and select "New Distribution List" and give it a name, then save&exit.

Then open Email Address Collector and the new distribution list must be displayed as a group on the Contacts view: try to add your addresses on this group.

Let me know if it makes any difference.

Bogdan

Post subject: Tried it
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:26 pm 

I created the distribution list in Outlook, then tried adding the email through EAC but it didn't work.

I also tried adding an email to the Contact roots folder in EAC and then adding the same email to the Group List. What this did is remove the email from the Contact roots folder to the Deleted Items folder which is what happens to all the emails that I try to add to a Group List.

I think the reason why no error showed up in the log.txt file is because the action occurs without error, it just seems to be set somewhere that the email address goes to the Deleted Items folder instead of the Group List.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

You are right, but that is very strange and it never happend before :?

Do you run any 3rd party addins in Outlook?

Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

By the way, do you also use the Business Contacts Manager add-on for Outlook, provided by Microsoft?

Bogdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:08 pm 

No 3rd party software. How would I check to see if Business Contacts Manager Add-On is on my system? I haven't used it before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Do you have multiple Outlook profiles? If yes, then I think we found the problem and we're going to fix it ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:14 pm 

I believe the only profile I am set up for is the MS Exchange profile. I don't have anything else in the profiles list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, we are working on a fix for it and probably it will be ready next week. Meanwhile, a quick fix would be to add the desired contacts to the Outlook Contacts root folder, then to use Outlook and move those contacts from the root to the desired group.

Please send me an email (mailto:bogdan@emailaddressmanager.com) so I get your email address in order to notify you when the fix will be ready.

Bogdan

Post subject: Any Update?
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:50 pm 

Hi,

Has there been any updates to this issue. I haven't received any response since the last contact made in January. Thanks!

Jonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

We plan to release v3.0 of Email Address Collector during May and it shall include the fix for that Contacts export problem. I am sorry for this long wait, but the new version will include several new features and we needed more time than expected to come up with it.

Regards
Bogdan